How did I get here?

I'm often asked how I got to where I am today- teaching classes, running a business, and using my intuitive gifts every day. The path I followed was an adventure! I have always been intuitive, and have been drawn to kids and pets for as long as I can remember. I took on the role of caretaker at a very early age and that led me to jobs in childcare, veterinary care, doula work, and healthcare.


I started on the road to energy work via natural parenting.  When we moved to Iowa my crunchy mom friends were all seeing an energy worker who is also a nurse, and she validated me when I said I was starting to feel the energetic movements of populations, the change in collective consciousness, and the way the Earth feels when there's a natural disaster.

Before seeing her I had been going through an "I don't know what to do with my life" phase.  My hospital nursing career was on pause indefinitely, my doula business had yet to take hold in our new city and state, I had just had my third child, and having three kids under 4 was filling up all of my time. 

I found Gail at a time when I was purging a whole truckload of old stuff that my husband and I had moved five times. Purging all that stuff and creating more space in my life made sense. My time was earmarked for my kids, and the small amount of time I had left for me I spent accepting breastfeeding support calls. Creating space for something new had to happen if I was going to "find myself" again.


If you've been a stay-at-home-parent you understand what I mean, the time you have is devoted to your kids, and your time off is after they go to bed. So when Gail encouraged me to take a Healing Touch class, I was excited to find a new way to get my hours for my nursing license, but had no idea what to expect. I wrote more about this in a past post, What's A Reiki Master, Anyway?


After my first HT class, my hands hurt. They ached. I asked one of my friends what she thought, and she said, "this is probably what you're meant to do. You look so happy!". It was if my hands were saying to me, "FINALLY! You are going to use us for what we're meant for!" I hadn't laid hands on a patient in a very long time and the truth was I missed the art of nursing, which is hands-on care.


I started to use HT on my kids and my husband. I used energy to connect with my friends. It felt like I knew they were going to text or call before they did, and the connections with family grew stronger. I still didn't know where it was going to go or take me, and then we moved to Florida.


Our family went through a very rough patch when we got down here. The adjustment was difficult, and our house didn't sell for much. It was the first time we had moved and didn't have a cushion. I knew I wanted to practice some type of energy work, but I didn't know what.


I practiced online with my friends, connecting with them, helping them out, talking to my buddies who were practicing too. I went to another HT class in 2012 and my instructor was surprised that I knew the techniques before she taught them to me. I didn't know how I knew them myself. 


I was learning quite a bit about the spiritual world at home. My spiritual guides were constantly challenging me with new experiences and I was learning all the time. I had online friends who challenged me too, walked me through my experiences, and helped me through the things I didn't understand.


I restarted my yoga practice that year and that was monumental in getting me to where I wanted to be. Just taking one hour for myself a week, to take care of me, was a huge step. Soon my baby was in preschool almost every day and I had more time to pursue the things I was interested in.


The more I surrounded myself with people who "got me", who understood how energy worked and who practiced healing modalities, the more comfortable I felt practicing my gifts. I had been looking for validation from people who could value what I do, and I found it. Validation came in all kinds of ways, energetically, physically, mentally, and spiritually.


The path opened up exponentially once I felt sure of myself. I took three levels of Reiki and Level 3 & 4 of HT in 18 months, and it was quite a ride! The learning I had been through in the previous three years seemed like it was on hyperdrive. My hands were happy, and the rest of me started to follow.


I opened up to practicing on my friends and their friends, and was offered several places to practice energy work. I found Plant Street Wellness Center on the advice of a friend. When I walked in Kim said she was just about to put the space up for rent, it was definitely divinely guided. 


My life has been expanding ever since. New experiences, new spiritual challenges, new people to meet and modalities to learn about. What has been the most fun is seeing the progress my clients make through Reiki and Healing Touch. Teaching energetic boundaries, relaxation techniques, coping skills, and using my intuition to guide them has been very rewarding.


A year ago I suddenly found myself in a place where I could use all of my gifts, experience, and talents in a way that helped people and made me happy. And my work creating, treating, healing, and connecting has been the best learning experience of my life. I am grateful every day that I am where I am. 




To learn more about Reiki, Healing Touch, and Energy work, schedule a free 15 minute consultation with me via phone at 407-205-8450. You can also schedule a session online at IntuitiveReconnections.com.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Daily Mini Habit Ideas

The Path of the Wounded Healer

How Does Energy Healing Work?